Thread: Its on like Donkey Kong

Its on like Donkey Kong

MLB is back!

Bite me, haters.

BKB

I'm feeling a little more interest this time around. Last season I got more innersted than I have in the last 20 years. Having a decent team to talk about and root for makes a significant difference
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

The Nats get a chance to prove they're real this year. I have a feeling they're the real deal!
    BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Hey, Nats!!! Enjoy Bryce Harper and Strasburg for the next couple o' years, before the Yankees absorb them!!!
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Nah, the Yankees will wait until they're 40 and then offer them a huge contract.
    BKB

No, not that long. The instant their contracts are up, they are in pinstripes. The Yanks are in such disarray right now, they might actually try to physically abduct both of them. Heck, I heard they are even considering signing Tyler Greene!!!!!

AND......

First Cards game is NINE O FLIPPING CLOCK PEE EMM TONIGHT. I will TRY and make it..........but the roofers have started repairing mother's roof, and ain't no way I can nap!
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    I read an article somewhere last week that pointed out that most of the big name younger players and others that would make a big splash in free agency are under contract with their current teams for at least the next two seasons, and several have just signed big extensions.

Looks like the Yankees will have to try to make do with their farm system.
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Player Age Pos
    Mark Teixeira 33 1B
    Robinson Cano 30 2B
    Derek Jeter 39 SS
    Kevin Youkilis 34 3B
    Chris Stewart 31 C
    Curtis Granderson 32 CF
    Brett Gardner 29 LF
    Ichiro Suzuki 39 RF
    Mariano Rivera 43 RP
    David Aardsma 31 RP
    Boone Logan 28 RP
    Joba Chamberlain 27 RP
    David Robertson 28 RP
    Clay Rapada 32 RP
    Cody Eppley 27 RP
    David Phelps 26 RP
    CC Sabathia 32 SP
    Hiroki Kuroda 38 SP
    Andy Pettitte 41 SP
    Phil Hughes 27 SP
    Ivan Nova 26 SP
    Eduardo Nunez 26 BENCH
    Melky Mesa 26 BENCH
    Jayson Nix 30 BENCH
    Francisco Cervelli 27 BENCH

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Just got back from the Opener. Awesome game! The nice thing about the Nats young talent is that it's all under club control for the next 3-5 years.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Then there is this:

NEW YORK (AP)

The New York Yankees set a record for baseball's highest opening-day payroll at $230.4 million, almost 10 times what the Houston Astros are paying their players.

After all the talk of spending restraint during the offseason, the Yankees began the season Monday well ahead of the Los Angeles Dodgers. The Dodgers are at $214.8 million and only the second franchise to break the $200 million barrier, according to a study of big league contracts by The Associated Press.

Houston was last at $27.3 million, down from about $61 million opening day last year and less than the major league-leading $29 million for the Yankees' Alex Rodriguez. Houston's payroll is the lowest since the 2008 Florida Marlins were at $22 million.

Ta Dah....

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Yawl quit hating on my Yanks.
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    But, it's so much fun watching bad things happen to teams that deserve it.

I don't see Stras going to the Yankees. He's pretty quiet and reserved and a real West Coast guy. If anything, he'd head back there. He's also under team control through the 2016 season which is an eternity in baseball years. The Kid is a different story. He grew up a Yankee fan is is a real student of the history of baseball. So, kind of a wildcard but also under team control even longer than Strasburg. I think the thing you're seeing with teams signing their young stars to long term deals is an effort to lock them up longer term by buying out a couple of arbitration eligible years.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

QA, I'll quit when they begin to act like something other than spoiled rich brats that do most everything the wrong way (Jeter excepted)....