Thread: False Advertising

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master

False Advertising

I stream Hulu as my primary TV source and there's a commercial that they are promoting "meat" made from plants. Now I like veggies better than most people and I have nothing against plant based meat substitutes but for crying out loud to call it meat is nothing but a bald faced lie. Where's the truth in advertising people when you need them? Plants are eaten by meat but it's not meat.

Sheesh.......
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Labeling of food is pathetic. The whole ‘certified angus’ label is really misleading. Sure there are standards to be met in order to get that label, but it has little to do with the actual breed of the cow/steer that stood in the CAFO hock deep in shit. https://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/brand/specs.php

I’m a certified dyed in the wool carnivore and I love beef in particular, but ffs the way our process currently works makes me wonder if its gonnabe the next thing that kicks our ass.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

My gripe is tv commercials for food products that "look" great, but have absolutely nothing in common with what is actually served. Just last night, I saw a Pizza Hut commercial. They showed a hot, steaming pizza that was TOTALLY covered with slices of pepperoni and when they picked up a slice, the thick strings of cheese must have stretched to more than a foot long. The ACTUAL pizza looks like a piece of cardboard with scattered pepperoni slices. Same with a MacD's hamburger ad ... a beautiful, perfect burger ... a Big Mac looks like it's 4-5 inches thick with perfect ingredients showing from the sides. The real deal looks like somebody sat on the burger. No different than the others ... Burger King, Wendy's, etc. Taco Bell? Ha! The ad taco and actual product are planets apart.

My question is, why hasn't someone tackled these companies for their bullshit representations in their ads?

I looked up the legal definition of false advertising and it seems to fit.

"False advertising is the act of publishing, broadcasting, or otherwise distributing an advertisement that contains an untrue, misleading, or deceptive representation. The deception is made knowingly or recklessly with the intent to promote the sale of property, goods, or services to the public."
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Maybe they should be made to use the actual product in the photos or videos.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/...look-delicious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Deppity, when I worked in Beverly Hills during the '80's, I knew a guy who was a professional food photographer. He wasn't a personal friend, but we regularly ran into each other in a club/bar/restaurant we both frequented and would many times sit at the bar together and b/s. I told him that if I had his job I'd probably weigh 400-lbs. because I'd want to eat everything I photographed. He then told me none of the food is edible once he preps it for the photo sessions. He told me exactly what much of your posted link refers to, so that article is legitimate.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain