Thread: Hey Thump

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar

Hey Thump

My wife is going to be going to a conference in Orlando in the middle of June. I'm thinking of tagging along and outside of the big theme parks, what other things is there to do around there? Every time I've been in that area, it was to go to either Disney or Universal.
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Tons of choices Deppity, but it all depends on what you want to spend. Prices for crap down here have gone through the roof for the tourist traps. I assume you'll have a rental car? My suggestion would be to zip over to Kennedy Space Center if you've never seen it. Even those prices are a bit nuts, but it's a cool experience if you're into that sort of thing, I don't know how far you want to go, but it's a straight shot to the east coast from where you'll be (probably 1 hr. 45 mins. or so from where you'll be). Head over early as it can easily be an all day visit.

https://www.kennedyspacecenter-ticke...BoC1p4QAvD_BwE

If you want to stay closer to the area (close to Disney), maybe hit Gatorland? We used to go as kids, but it was free back in the day. They just had a jar on a table inside the door to drop donations in if you were so inclined, these days, you need to take out a second mortgage, but it's "reasonable" compared to the usual stuff in the area. Note: The middle of June will most likely be HOT, so take that into account. Gatorland will be 99.9% outside, but shaded for the most part.

http://https://www.gatorland.com/about/about-gatorland/

Again, if you want to get away from the Disney craziness, you'll be about an hour and 1/2 from Daytona. You could maybe hit the museum at the track, grab a bite to eat someplace then cruise up and down the beach.

https://www.mshf.com/museum/index#:~...een%20theater.

There are a bazillion options. Give me a clue what floats your boat, how far you'd be willing to travel and maybe I can narrow things down a little. Of course beaches are always an option if you're into that sort of thing. How long will you be here? We're planning on a little road trip around the middle of June to visit family in Houston, but we're still trying to coordinate our schedules with my sisters and BIL, so we don't have dates yet. Maybe we could meet for dinner if we're still in town. We're 40 mins. or so from Disney.

'Course, for a free getaway, you could always take a 30 min. drive west and meet up with our Sheriff, Grady Judd. This county LOVES our Sheriff Judd ... well, except for the bad guys that is.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Her conference is the 17th to the 19th. We’re not sure if we are adding the extra days at the beginning or the end yet. Kind of depends on plane tickets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

How many extra days will you be adding? I'm assuming you'll have a rental car. Or will you be staying local and using Uber, etc?

As for flights, GENERALLY speaking, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays offer the best flight deals. If you want to have a couple of free days to explore, maybe take the 20th and 21st off and fly back on Saturday the 22nd. Coming in Saturday the 15th might be a bit rushed and your only full day off would be on a Sunday. Just something to consider.

I finally got the itinerary figured out. We are coming in on Saturday the 15th and leaving Wednesday the 19th. I’m renting a car and my wife will be in the conference during the day Monday to Wednesday.

I know it’s a really quick turnaround but I’m so backed up at work I really can’t be away any longer.

The conference is at the Rosen Plaza hotel.

If you’re around that week I’d like to try to meet up.

Cool! We're supposed to be (possibly) headed to Houston around that time, but I had a doctor appt. today that was cancelled and rescheduled during that week. Lynn's doc also scheduled a follow-up appt. during that week, so we may move the trip to a different date. Possibly July if all works out, so it may work. If we get too rowdy, do you think you might be able to swing a get out of jail free card in this jurisdiction?

Hey Deppity! Sorry for the slow response. but things have piled up here. We were originally scheduled to head out (driving) to Houston this week (6/11-7/2) for a visit with family, plus some exploring on the way out and back. BUT ... life happened and we needed to step away from those plans and have decided to fly instead of drive (8/6 - 8/20). Just bought the tickets an hour ago! Two of our cats got really sick at almost the same time and we had to put one down last Friday. We've determined we will most likely be losing the other one also and just made an appointment for him, the earliest we can get him in to the vet is this Tuesday (6/18), IF it doesn't turn into an emergency thing before then (we think it's kidney failure). Monday, Lynn has an early morning dr. appt. and at noon, we're both scheduled to donate blood. Tomorrow, my buddy (best friends since 1959) is having his eye removed due to cancer of the eyeball and I'll be helping him get to Tampa and back. Friday I have an appointment to take an old family friend's car in for service at Toyota (she's pushing 90 years old) and Friday is also Lynn's and my 39th anniversary, so we're going out for a nice dinner Fri. night. Sunday we're supposed to be at a good friend's (like family since 1989 - Subway guy) house for a big Father's Day celebration since the local restaurants are jammed and reservations are a bitch to get. Saturday is the only day I'll be able to catch my breath, unless something ELSE comes up between now and then. SOMEWHERE in there. I have to get a haircut, but I don't go to a hoity-toity barber where a reservation is needed, so I'll just walk in. If I can't squeeze it in between all the other crap, it'll most likely be Saturday (Hopefully Father's Day won't back things up)

So. as you can see, I'm pretty much screwed (on paper anyway). I honestly have no clue how I ever got anything done while I was working. Retirement is killing me! Anyway, I might be able to cancel/reschedule a few less important things and maybe be able to open a window somewhere along the line. In case things change, is there anything you know of that you'd like to see or do in the area? I mentioned a few possible options above, but if you stay in the Disney area, you have all that touristy crap if anything grabs you. It looks like I'm pretty slammed, but if you have any requests, I'll at least have something to aim for in case my b/s schedule can be stretched somehow. Your schedule is pretty tight also as far as number of available days is concerned but we may be able to put our heads together and pull a miracle out of our hats. Let me know what your thoughts are. I know you're probably getting pretty busy also, getting ready to fly out on Saturday. My Ph. # is 863-712-7291

Oh, to add to the craziness, prepare yourself for a possible bucket load of rain. It's been south of us so far and right now, doesn't look like you'll be affected too much. It's expected to get bad the day after you leave. BUT ... keep an eye on your flight, The bad weather (and flooding) down south has caused all sorts of airport delays and cancellations, but I'm not sure if it's affecting flights in and out of Orlando.

So….DD to condense the above thumper travelogue into fewer words.

‘Have fun and keep yer powder dry!’

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Awwww, BITE ME!

I leave no questions unanswered!

Well, my buddy had his eyeball removed yesterday. Weird, he went in early yesterday morning and was home by 10:00 am. Kind'a creeps me out in a way. I can't stand mucking around with my eyes ... if something gets in my eye, I just say leave it in there 'til it falls out. Lynn wants to wring my neck anytime I need eyedrops as I can not and WILL NOT keep my eyes open long enough to get 'em in! Eye check-ups are a real battle ... three people to hold me down, two more to hold my eye open and one more to squeeze in the drops. I witnessed Lynn's lasic surgery years ago and I was the only one squirming through the whole procedure. Heck, it used to drive me bonkers when she wore contacts. She'd just pop 'em in and move them around until they were where she wanted 'em. Nope! Just glasses for me thank you! I can't even imagine going in and having 'em pop my eyeball out! So far, he's doing well and says he can see MUCH better with one eye than he did with two.

Anyway, today is Lynn's and my anniversary (6/14/1985) and we're getting ready to head out for the day. Youse dufes be good! (Ha! Like that'll ever happen)

Jim, I’m going to just be hanging out during the day on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday morning while my wife is in her conference. I may try to head over to Sun City Center to visit my cousin if she is able to, but otherwise I’m free.

Hopefully we can find time for a quick visit.

Wow! If you do head over to SCC, you'll be passing within 3-5 mins. of my house, assuming you take I-4 to I-75 (the quickest route). It appears we'll be scattered all over town the next few days, but if you get any sort of solid schedule and the timing works out, maybe we could at least grab breakfast or lunch on your way by! There are plenty of places right off the Interstate. the usual chains mostly. I know it's a crap shoot, but who knows? I hope your trip was uneventful and you're settled in. We'll be doing the Father's Day thing with friends today.