Thread: Cool!

Cool!

hammerhead.jpg

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/08/us/sou...html?hpt=hp_t2

(CNN) -- A team of University of South Carolina researchers has made a remarkable discovery: a rare new breed of hammerhead shark it has dubbed the Carolina hammerhead.

The shark's outward features are indistinguishable from those of the common scalloped hammerhead, a kind of low profile that allowed it to go for so long without detection, according to a USC news release.

What's new and distinct about the new species is that it has 10 fewer vertebrae than a scalloped hammerhead.

South Carolina ichthyologist Joe Quattro, a USC biology professor, helped make the discovery.

"South Carolina is a well-known pupping ground for several species of sharks, including the hammerhead," according to the USC release. "The female hammerhead will birth her young at the ocean-side fringes of the estuary; the pups remain there for a year or so, growing, before moving out to the ocean to complete their life cycle."

Something about hammerheads make them the coolest sharks to me.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

I've seen a few diving, in the 6-7 foot range but no big ones. I've caught a half dozen or so 3-4 footers off the Gandy Bridge between Tampa and St Pete. There's hammerheads and shovel nose and they're close kin. I had a buddy in the Air Force that was also my boss that had a 15 ft skiff that we spent quite a bit of time fishing out of. I was swimming in Tampa Bay one day to cool off and a 13 ft hammerhead was caught within the hour at the exact same spot. Luckily, hammerheads aren't too dangerous.

BKB

Dang. I thought the Carolina Hammerhead had red hair.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org