Thread: Thumper, you were right!

Thumper, you were right!

Posthole will prolly make me move this to the Fishing forum once we get one but here goes...

Your grandfathers reel is a jewel. It was as you suspected full of old hard grease. I completely tore it down and degreased the whole thing oiled and reassembled it.
    It has got to be the smoothest spin cast reel I've ever seen. I'll spool it up with some line and it will make for a damn good little outfit.
    Thanks dude, I'll get on the Zebco 33 soon
    Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Cool beans man! I'd really like to see someone get some use out of it. It's waaay too light for the monsters I catch!

Me too, but I figured I could loan it to Len or Posthole on one of our trips.

A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post

Are those gears plastic Cappy? Can't really tell in the pics. I believe the 100B was the first year Johnson switched to plastic gears (not really sure that's a good thing). Man, that thing brings back memories. Seems like just yesterday when I bought that reel, but it was 1962 and I was 10 years old. You know the ironic part? I gave it to my grandfather here at the Florida house and he took it to the North Carolina house where he fished the Tuckasegee River with it. My grandmother brought it back to Florida after he passed away ('64) and gave it back to me. I'm happy to see someone like you end up with it ... AND it went full circle, Florida - N.C. - Florida - N.C.

All gears and springs are steel and in great shape. The "teeth" on the gears and worm are sharp. There are a couple of bushings but I don't they think plastic, I think they are either nylon or Bakelite. They are not cracked like you would expect plastics to be. All in all that reel is solid and can be used for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post

There's no need to be ugly! I was gonna make you a custom rod for it but now I"m not so sure!
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

I was not being ugly, I thought you and Posthole would be honored for a chance to use the reel?

That rig will be just the ticket for those titty-bream you've got at your farm!
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

As long as there's no barbed wire fences going across the pond, I'm good.

BKB

I have a reel just like that from my Grampa attached to a fiberglass rod that was just awesome in 1970. Next to it is another pole that was his. The second one has the sensitivity of a broom handle. It is also a spin cast reel, but it hangs below the rod: similar to a spinning reel. Every time I see those rods, I think of all the walks to the pond, the fish we caught, the trips to the "Crick" to seine fish to stock the pond(bass, bluegills, sunfish, minnows and crawdads). My most memorable trip: the 18 bass my brother and I caught during a downpour on beetle spins.
    Scott