Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brisket Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    How many Yankees say that about grits?

I just had grits for supper Monday night (my request). Lynn cooked up a big ol' pot of cheese grits, a platter of over easy-eggs and plenty of bacon. My FAVORITE way to eat grits is to start out with a plate full, slap a few slices of bacon on top then top the whole mess with 2-3 eggs (runny yolks). Then take a knife and chop the whole thing up into a big runny mess and eat it with a spoon.

P.S. Did that Monday night for supper ... then had the same thing as left-overs for lunch yesterday. YUUMMMMM!

Thump, that sounds pretty danged good....next time, throw in a can of smoked oysters....or, some boiled shrimp with cheddar....I got a killer coonazz recipe for shrimp and grits.
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I used to be a lot like this. Sometimes I 'd cook a brisket and it'd be the best thing I ever ate. Other times, "meh". I did a lot of reading up on BBQ sites about process and since then I've been on a roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    Confession.

I can't smoke a brisket. I ruin it.

Sigh.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    Last grits I ever SAW was on a plate at a Bob Evans in Kent, OH.

Ha! I know Bob Evans has grits and did you know .... get ready for it ... I AM Thumper ya' know ... I got to know Bob Evans pretty well and had breakfast with him a few times ... even been to his house (farm)!

My deer hunting partner in Ohio lives just north of Gallipolis, OH along the Ohio River (Rt. 7) in a little village called Cheshire. His wife has worked at Bob Evans since they built the original restaurant there and Gallipolis is where Bob first started his sausage business years ago. His farm is also just north of Gallopolis on Hwy 35 (?). Anyway, my buddy and I were having breakfast there one morning and in walks Bob Evans. My buds wife called him over and introduced us and he sat at the table with us. I told him I was up there for deer season and he said I should come out to the farm as he had something I'd probably enjoy seeing. He was the most average acting/looking country dude you could imagine and was even wearing cover-alls. We drove out to the farm and he showed me some of the biggest white tail bucks I've ever seen in my life .. by biggest, I mean their antlers! They were absolute monsters! He raises them and breeds/feeds them for rack development. Wow! That would really add to the local gene pool to start a little insemination project on the local wild herd! WOW!

Anyway, over the 25 years I was going up there, I saw him quite a few times. They eventually tore that restaurant down to make room for a new bridge and roadway across the river and they built a new restaurant just down the road in town. He passed away the last year I was up there ('07?). One of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet. True, down to earth country folk.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

I finally got my shrimp and grits recipe dialed in. That is one of my favorite dishes of all time.

Eddie, care to share your coonass recipe? I assume you start with the holy trinity?
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

I've not had grits and shrimps. I do like me some jambalaya though so I'd prolly like it with grits.

BKB

It's as simple as can be:

> Add your favorite Cajun seasoning(I like Tony Cacherie's) to boiling water to make enough slightly loose grits, that will fill your casserole dish
    > Saute' some diced green onions, celery, garlic, and any type peppers you like, until al dente'
    > Boil shrimp in Cajun seasoning, peel, and set aside....I like to add a can of smoked oysters, too
    > Stir sautéed veggies into the grits
    > Add a little evoo to the bottom of casserole dish, and cover the bottom with the shrimp and/or oysters....you put them on the bottom to keep them from cooking any further
    > Pour the grit/veggie mixture over the shrimp/oysters, and smooth it out to the edges of the dish
    > Cover the whole thing in a thick layer of shredded sharp cheddar....I like to add some pepper jack, Colby, or mozzarella....whatever is handy.
    > Place casserole under a medium-hot broiler, only until the cheeses are brown, crusty, and gooey....do not bake, as the shrimp/oysters will shrivel up.

This stuff is mighty fine, and is a meal in itself, with a salad and some garlic toast.
    Southern Gentleman

A little place on Topsail Island has a very good version of shrimp and grits. They make the grits with chunks of hot pepper then chill everything so they can be sliced. Then they fry them in bacon grease so you get slabs of spicy grits that are crispy on the outside. Added shrimp and a bacon grease based gravy over the top. Pretty tasty.

Heck, bacon grease makes everything better....prolly even make Thump's fish bait palatable.
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Ha! I know Bob Evans has grits and did you know .... get ready for it ... I AM Thumper ya' know ... I got to know Bob Evans pretty well and had breakfast with him a few times ... even been to his house (farm)!

My deer hunting partner in Ohio lives just north of Gallipolis, OH along the Ohio River (Rt. 7) in a little village called Cheshire. His wife has worked at Bob Evans since they built the original restaurant there and Gallipolis is where Bob first started his sausage business years ago. His farm is also just north of Gallopolis on Hwy 35 (?). Anyway, my buddy and I were having breakfast there one morning and in walks Bob Evans. My buds wife called him over and introduced us and he sat at the table with us. I told him I was up there for deer season and he said I should come out to the farm as he had something I'd probably enjoy seeing. He was the most average acting/looking country dude you could imagine and was even wearing cover-alls. We drove out to the farm and he showed me some of the biggest white tail bucks I've ever seen in my life .. by biggest, I mean their antlers! They were absolute monsters! He raises them and breeds/feeds them for rack development. Wow! That would really add to the local gene pool to start a little insemination project on the local wild herd! WOW!

Anyway, over the 25 years I was going up there, I saw him quite a few times. They eventually tore that restaurant down to make room for a new bridge and roadway across the river and they built a new restaurant just down the road in town. He passed away the last year I was up there ('07?). One of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet. True, down to earth country folk.
    You're more full of b/s than a Christmas Turkey, man!!!
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.