As has already been said, if you want a caliber that will pretty much do it all with the ultimate in over-the-counter availability, the .30-'06 is what you are looking for. Is it the best (insert critter name here) caliber? Maybe not. Will it adequately take every critter in North America? Darn tooting'.

That being said, my deer rifle is a Remington Model 700 BDL in .30-'06. It has taken whitetail, mule deer, antelope, & an elk along with numerous coyotes & other smaller critters. Would I use it on black bear or moose? Without a doubt!! On grizzly bear? I would but hesitantly. Not because the gun won't do the trick but because after seeing three grizzlies while in Glacier National Park last summer, the closest at less then 50 yards, I'm not real sure I would be real excited to hunt one period. Those suckers are BIG!!

As for a sweet shooting little caliber I have really grown to like, the 7mm-08. My wife has one and I steal it whenever she doesn't have a tag but if you don't reload then ammo availability is an issue. The .308 is another similarly great round but again with availability of ammo.

Just my two cents and worth what you paid for it.

Be sure to let us know what you decide.