Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A GPS Question...for you novice Surveyors

Download the Planimeter app. It's awesome for measuring YOUR ground. You can thank me later .

If you are interested.... By the description of your property and the software I have, all you have to do is to find the coordinates that you lost, email them to me and i can email you the coordinate to get you pretty close to where you need to go to find your missing corner. If you are not interested that is good too, I just thought I offer.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Oh. Well so it is.
    The only spot I have right now without recharging the GPS (it's on charger) is:
    34°23'50.2"N 91°18'26.2"W

THat spot is halfway down the northern boundary to where I want to go. It is one 40 acres (440 yards) due East from the NW corner. It is where I'm going to start walking next week. I am going to go due east, another 440 yards, and hope I'm at the corner.

And every GPS coordinate I take from now on in the woods, I'm putting in my GPS Garmin, my phone, and I'm writing it down.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

I like panties. So bite me.

NTB, I have a problem making ANY app work in this area. I have zero.........as in not 1/2 bar, not .0001 bar, NO bars.......of service.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Quote Originally Posted by Arty View Post
    And.... I'm always the last one to call you out, but damn man you did go kinda off the handle there a little. You went straight to "I never should have said something here". WTFO?! And that was BEFORE I told you your panties had fallen down betwixt your ankles.
    Straight? After two dozen posts? That's straight?????????????????

As straight as you need to walk next week when you get down there again to find that 4th pin.

Nandy, I'll get the GPS next week. I'll let you know.

And again.......I'll figure it out. THanks to everyone.. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    I like panties. So bite me.

NTB, I have a problem making ANY app work in this area. I have zero.........as in not 1/2 bar, not .0001 bar, NO bars.......of service.
    Brother you can do it from your house to give you a idea . Then you can walk to it.

k, I see your roads and such, might be able to give you some idea, the other 3 coordinates will help. Sometimes you can hook up to the pc and extract all of your data but it is not always possible... BTW, that is the what you are looking is for the NE point, correct?

What I was referring to with the deed, is simply, WHAT you will be looking for....metal post, a truck axle, small concrete slab, old fence post, etc....at least you'll have an idea of what the marker is made of and looks like....down here, in the old days, old cotton picker spindles were driven into the nearest tree.
    Southern Gentleman

coordinates sent by pm..

Buckrub, if I am reading your notes correctly, you are looking for the coordinates of the gray icon in the upper right of this picture?

BuckrubMap.JPG

And here it is again from the satellite view:

BuckrubSat.JPG

Am I close? If so, the coordinates are:

N34 23 50 W91 18 11 - if your GPS is like mine, you can put in the new coordinates as a waypoint and then choose the GoTo fuction. It'll give you an arrow for the direction to walk and a distance. I've used that function in the past to get to a known point with least resistance as we created a new path to a stand.

Wish I could come walk it with you - looks like a prime area!
    Last edited by Egghead; 06-17-2015 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
    N34 23 50 W91 18 11 -
    pretty close to what I found too. I used to make maps for my garmin GPS and i have a couple of custom maps. Lots of work not worth it anymore but I still have some of the software. Having the other 3 will narrow it down better. Still, with all that cover his gps will have about 100 feet give or take...

BTW, your point is 13 yards SE of mine.

Monster killed within 120 yards of there last year.

Thanks guys. Yes, Egg, I'm looking for the NE corner spot. THEN, I will need to have a general idea, a decent flagging, of the Eastern boundary line. The NW, SW, and SE corners are obvious.........the NE one is in middle of nowhere. Truthfully, I may never get to it. It is in relief from Lagrue Bayou (a slough) and we're so wet it could easily be under water............

Appreciate all the help. Wish I knew how to do all that.

And I'm ticked at my GPS for just.......losing existing coordinates! It shows them on the map, but when you tap on 'em, it shows all zeroes for the coordinates. and only for those two! Danged expensive gps to be screwing up!

Most garmin units will export their waypoints to a gbd or gpx. You might get lucky and show in the exported file. Im sure garmin has some sort of software nowadays to talk to your gps. I still use mapsource 6.13. Stopped upgrading because the newer version would let you do less and less.... So I am not familiar with exporting waypoints with newer software IF it does...

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Another suggestion, check to see if the county where the property is has a GIS website. They have maps of all the platted properties. If it's not online, (but probably is) go to the office. They can print the map out for you. They can do is several different ways and by GPS coordinates is one of them.
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

This guy works cheap, and will find that corner for ya.

image.jpg
    Southern Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDog View Post
    Another suggestion, check to see if the county where the property is has a GIS website. They have maps of all the platted properties. If it's not online, (but probably is) go to the office. They can print the map out for you. They can do is several different ways and by GPS coordinates is one of them.
    I pulled the property up on GIS last night. The maps would not load last night. I figure it was down for service. Was going to try this morning before going to SC.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

The plot number is 002-02409-000 but i still cannot get the maps to load this morning.
    Headed to SC and no service but if anyone else wants to give it a try the county is Arkansas, yes that's the county Arkansas county in Arkansas state.
    And Bucky complains because North and South Carolina didn't think of different names. At least when Carolina divided they DID choose North and South.
    Arkansas, Arkansas is just (*&#$)* Dumb.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Its a good thing arkadelphia isn't in that county.

Nandy, I'd like to talk about how to make a gps map some time.

BKB

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    The plot number is 002-02409-000 but i still cannot get the maps to load this morning.
    Headed to SC and no service but if anyone else wants to give it a try the county is Arkansas, yes that's the county Arkansas county in Arkansas state.
    And Bucky complains because North and South Carolina didn't think of different names. At least when Carolina divided they DID choose North and South.
    Arkansas, Arkansas is just (*&#$)* Dumb.
    More than dumb. Ignorant.

I've searched all over and I don't even know where you went to find that info or parcel number. It's correct parcel number though! What is the URL of where you are? I can find Arkansas County but the only map I get is a street map, and the woods plot is just a big blank area. No zooming, etc. I see GIS maps of other counties in Arkansas, but not Arkansas County.

FWIW, it was/is called that because before there was an Arkansas (something you original 13 colonies don't have to deal with), there was an Arkansas Post on the MS/AR River confluence. It's still there........but just a building. It was the Territorial Capitol before any white folks were here. Or black. Or yellow. Or green. So the county was actually named before the state.........it was the state that probably took a duplicate name from the county.

But while we're talking ignorance, you might take a minute while you are at the farm to straighten out your SC brethren. We do a lot of dumb stuff, but this one would never get brought up here. In fact, me and my kids are gonna shoot up the private owned place next week!!!

http://freedomoutpost.com/2015/06/so...onal-property/

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Its a good thing arkadelphia isn't in that county.

Nandy, I'd like to talk about how to make a gps map some time.

BKB
    Yeah it is. Arkadelphia is in Clark County.

Ha ha! I have no clue why this post reminded me of this ... prolly just the silly city names.

In h/s, I dated a gal in Mississippi ... a super cute little blonde. I'm tellin' ya', she was a real "Georgia Peach"! Her name was Vicki, but I always called her "Little Bit" ... she was a TINY little thing and prolly weighed about 85 pounds soaking wet (a real spinner )! Anyway, she was from Climax, Georgia! I can't remember the exact figure, but I think she said the population (this was the 60's) was something like 50 people! Of course I laughed like heck at the name and asked her why they called the place "Climax" (kinda figured the population would be higher with a name like that!) and she told me the town was located at the highest point (climax) of whatever railroad it was that went through there.

I know, I know ... I apologize ... this thread just jogged the ol' memory banks and made me crack a smile. Dang! She was a cutie!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Ha ha! I just HAD to Google the place to check it out. Sounds like a swingin' little town (at least the population took a "huge" jump)!

From Wiki:

Climax is a city in Decatur County, Georgia, United States. The town was named Climax because it is located at the highest point of the railroad between Savannah, Georgia and the Chattahoochee River. The population was 297 at the 2000 census.

Climax’s annual festival is held on the first Saturday after Thanksgiving. The event is attended by 35,000 people annually, a large number in light of Climax’s sub-300 population. Contests & events include best dressed pig, corn shucking, hog calling, eating chitterlings, pig racing, syrup making, baby crawling, and the great greased pig chase. The festival is kicked off with a parade down Main Street that leads up to the event grounds. There is also a beauty contest for different age groups where the winner is crowned Miss and Little Miss Swine Time.

I worked in Climax Ga. And Climax NC both.

Bucky go to Arkansas county Arkansas Government homepage Go to the counties website and click on the GIS tab. Maybe the map will load sometimes today.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I worked in Climax Ga. And Climax NC both.
    No shit? Were you a contestant in the Swine Festival?

Cappy.......I see what you mean now. I got all those tax records but no map. I changed the map to "hi res" and it was just blank. I guess what's actually happening is that it's loading still, huh? Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Ok, will try. And thanks.

Anytime.