Thread: Butch Richenback passed away

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar

Butch Richenback passed away

Pass by RNT all the time. Went right by it last week.

RIP.........
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

He was one of the original duck dynasty guys......not the TV kind either .

Yep. Me and you prolly onliest ones that know that, though. At least here. Here, at this place that used to be a hunting site.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Remember, I once went to school with Eddie Holt, and Dixie Major.

You and Butch were about the same age too ? Right ?

Yep.

No clue ... had to Google him. RIP
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

If you have never been to a duck calling contest, its a pretty amazing thing to watch. For about ten seconds it is anyway.

This guy's company made dandy calls.

BKB

I'm not sure I've ever even owned a duck call. That may have sumpin' to do with why I'm clueless.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

His feeding call was legendary ....

My bestest buddy and duck hunting partner for almost all of my duck hunting years is one of those look down his nose snobby assed old time duck calling authorities who would about have a conniption fit if I even ever raised a call to my lips whilst in the blind. In the truck on the way to or from was fine although he'd look like he swallowed a persimmon the whole time.
    So naturally I think duck calling is highly overrated. I've killed many by just simply quacking at them once or twice with my call instead of using all the various pick up lines people always claim to have.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Listening to Butch on tape is how I learned to blow a "flute" goose call. I met him at the DU convention - in New Orleans. For 10 years I chaired the largest Greenwing event in the state. I knew I was going to "retire" after 10 and wanted to do something special. I called Butch and asked him what my cost would be on 200 duck calls. I "guessed" I was going to have a thousand bucks to raise. He sold me 200 duck calls - complete with Greenwing emblem for $2.15 each. Calls would have retailed for around $15.

Godspeed Butch.

You must have got the 'scoop" Buck - can't find anything anywhere. Do you have link? thnx.
    Last edited by HideHunter; 06-30-2015 at 09:59 AM.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Man, I miss waterfowl hunting.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Quote Originally Posted by HideHunter View Post
    Listening to Butch on tape is how I learned to blow a "flute" goose call. I met him at the DU convention - in New Orleans. For 10 years I chaired the largest Greenwing event in the state. I knew I was going to "retire" after 10 and wanted to do something special. I called Butch and asked him what my cost would be on 200 duck calls. I "guessed" I was going to have a thousand bucks to raise. He sold me 200 duck calls - complete with Greenwing emblem for $2.15 each. Calls would have retailed for around $15.

Godspeed Butch.

You must have got the 'scoop" Buck - can't find anything anywhere. Do you have link? thnx.
    I saw it first here:
    http://www.arkansashunting.net/showthread.php?t=195241
    I do think you have to be registered, but not sure.

And all of you know I don't like egos or bragging. But I will be happy to work a flock of ducks into your decoys for you if you want. I have three Yentzen Sure Shot double reeds. If more than that is needed to be good, then I'm a failure. But Posty is right.......you won't hear MUCH from me...unless they have decided to leave and are in the next county. Then the term "Blowhard" fits me fairly well.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    I got to hunt with several "old-timers" a few years. I blow a single reed call made by one of my buddies. It's a very "quiet" call - and based on my calling - I think that's why he gave it to me. One of them blew a Yentzen. He had a "crying" ( I called it whining) "comeback" call - that on certain days would make those ducks react like noting I've seen before or since.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.