Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A couple of neat estate sale finds ...

Ha ha ha! Dang Cappy ... I like the way you think! I may just have to go suggest that!

NO WAIT!!! Who's gonna cook lunch for me??

You too Hidey-Ho ... catch some big ones! I'm out'ta here!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

But what about Airbud's and my meteorites?

Don't we at least get a hug?

BKB

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    At one of the sales this morning, the gal told me she will be having a "picker" sale in November that will only be open to her regular customers. She said the lady who passed away had been in the house for a bazillion years and was a major hoarder. She said everything in the house is ancient and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to her hoarding .... there's a little bit of EVERYTHING. She knows me well and said it's ALL the kind of stuff I LOVE to buy. She said the house is in very poor condition and she's only going to open it up to a chosen few ... NOT to the public. I didn't ask her to elaborate as some other people walked into the area where we were talking. Heck, I'm not sure what she means ... roof caving in? Floorboards rotted out? No electricity? Who knows, but I'm chomping at the bit to get in there and start digging! She said it'll prolly be late November. I HOPE it's late ... Lynn and I will be in Los Angeles for 10 days in early November. I SURE hope I'll be in town.
    If it's the floorboards you may want to send Lynn in with a remote camera. Just sayin'

That sounds like a good sale! I'd be lickin' my chops if I were you!
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Quote Originally Posted by HideHunter View Post
    lol.. "luck".. and if there's any "hugging" to be done - I'd prefer to hug her, if that's okay? Still running the combine 10 hours a day 6 days a week. Just went over 2000 acres with about that to go. Think the wife and I are going fishing today.. Have a good one.
    Does the whole farm take off on Sundays, or is it just you taking a break ?

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by No-till Boss View Post
    Does the whole farm take off on Sundays, or is it just you taking a break ?
    Yep - great system.. we try to shut down at 7:00 p.m. (bad things happen after dark - especially when everyone is tired) - and no work on Sundays.. I'm pretty much always ready for Sundays. How's your harvest going down there? We've had great weather (as in "dry"). Corn is dry - beans are dry (we're done) and stuff is coming out *fast*.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Yep - great system.. we try to shut down at 7:00 p.m. (bad things happen after dark - especially when everyone is tired) - and no work on Sundays.. I'm pretty much always ready for Sundays. How's your harvest going down there? We've had great weather (as in "dry"). Corn is dry - beans are dry (we're done) and stuff is coming out *fast*.
    We'll start soybeans tomorrow. It was a very smooth harvest so far, we have a lot of field work done for next year already.

The reason I ask, is no one here stops here on Sundays, they used to maybe 30 years ago so so. But now, with combines that will cut 50-75 thousand dollars of crop a day, no one takes off, and most cut at night it the weather permits too.

understood.. There'll be a lot of machines in the field today here also (and you can find some running here 24 hrs).. I run a machine for my BIL and sister.. They are pretty spiritual folks - plus, when you have 8 hands, running full tilt and your harvest runs a couple months - it's just good business..
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

How many deer do you chase out of the beans when you start early in the morning? I drove through your neck of the woods early in the AM up the Ave of the Saints and it seems like there were deer in every beanfield.

BKB

As soon as the beans ripen, the deer pretty much quit them until the weather really toughens. Then they'll flock to standing beans if they can find them. We're on corn now - and they'll start moving into the picked corn the last couple hours of light. Mostly does - but they aren't a bit concerned by the machinery. Right now - they're spending more time on the ridges. They'll be on the acorns in another couple weeks.

understood.. There'll be a lot of machines in the field today here also (and you can find some running here 24 hrs).. I run a machine for my BIL and sister.. They are pretty spiritual folks - plus, when you have 8 hands, running full tilt and your harvest runs a couple months - it's just good business..
    Thanks for the replies, they remind me of years gone bye . It makes me remember when we would shut-down for lunch and supper and eat as a group fixed my the women folk . We pack in now with coolers, and my feet never touch the ground from the start to the finish of the day........ things are way different now.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    I remember going up to Wisconsin to work on my grandparents farm in the summers as a kid. We worked 6 days a week and quit at 11 for lunch every day. We would get to the house and grandma would have lunch for the whole family and the 5 or 6 hired hands. It's funny at the time I hated going up there to work but looking back they were some of my best times.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

We have kind of a unique crew. My sister is the other combine operator (38 years experience) and 4 of us are old, retired guys who only work a couple months a year.. and these are the months. . We do carry our lunches and like you, NT, there are days I never step off the machine. BIL is a hell of a mechanic and can fix most anything. What he can't do off the top of his head - he does over the cell phone. Most days we run 2 carts (some days three) and three semis (some days 4). Absolutely great crew and not a bit of deadwood in the bunch.