Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wow!!!

The brisket was flavorful, but not tender enough for my taste. I like it falling apart and you can't get that unless you take it off and wrap it about halfway through and finish it for a couple hours in the oven at about 200. But I wanted to see what it was like finished in the smoke. I've got my coffee rub down to a science almost and it really provides a good, non-salty flavor to the meat. The baloney was awesome.
    On both, the BGE doesn't get you the 'too much smoke' flavor I sometimes got on my old smoker. My wife won't eat it if its too smoky. I'll eat about anything but I have to agree with her that smoke flavor can easily overcome the flavor of whatever you're cooking. A successful first test!

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    Cooked a prime rib on the Hasty Bake yesterday. This is right before I took it off.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

Man, I can smell that just looking at it. What internal temp do you go for?knowing you, about 98.6?

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    I shoot for about 120-125 but as you know I like it pretty rare.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Email me that coffee rub thingy recipe whatchit.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Done!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Send it my way, too.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

And done.

and again, please? lenjenkins3rd@gmail.com
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

And done again! I'll also paste it here to save postage.

Its pretty simple, otherwise I wouldn't be able to make it.

Some tips:
    Works good on steaks but I don't use as much on grilled meat as I do on smoked meats. So far I have only tested it on beef, mainly steaks. Be sure to let the steaks sit for about a half hour before you cook them. You should do that whether you use a rub or not. Cookingthem when they're room temp works a bunch better. I cook my steaks in a cast iron pan on the grill, makes them juicier. Rest them for at least five minutes after you take themoff. This is an excellent rub for brisket too. Works great on standing rib roasts that you slow roast in the oven. Just rub some olive oil on the meat to hold the rub.

1 tbsp finely ground coffee, espresso works best but not necessary
    1 tbsp Hersheys cocoa
    1 tbsp smoked paprika (if you want a little heat use hungarian hot paprika)
    2 tbsp brown sugar
    1 tbsp fresh ground pepper
    1 tbsp kosher salt

That's it let me know what you think!

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Well, I emailed you back a question, but just go ahead and answer it here.

7 total tablespoons of rub doesn't sound like a lot. How much meat will it cover?

And while I'm thinking on it, can I make up a big batch and store it, do ya reckon?
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

That's what I do. Those measurements will make enough rub for three or four steaks.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I just spent some time on the webiste Trav mentioned earlier in this thread when talking about the various lump charcoals and found this general FAQ page:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#whywhiz

Lots of good info, but a couple of real practical take aways to things mentioned on this thread. To keep your daisy wheel from opening up when you life the lid, just situate it on the top of the chimney so that the screw/hinge is at the very top and it won't swing open on you. (Talk about a "duh" moment...) Second, is that you can evidently calibrate the thermometer. (See the instructions on the link.) So, the issue with the temps may be a thermometer needing adjustment.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Haha, Hank I 'discovered that trick totally by accident.

Julie picked up a fancy-Dan digital meat thermometer that even has instructions when my old one, complete with handy pocket clip protector, fell in the disposal and got mangled. I prefer the old analog ones but this one gives an instant reading in numbers that I can read without my cheaters on so that's a plus I guess. The temp does 'feel' lower than 250-275 just from the rate that the meat internal temp rises, so for me it works okay. I may try that calibration deal though just to see. I assume you have to have another thermometer to check it in some way.

BKB