Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Friggin' clueless!

HA!!!, Deputy, just plain ole Muddy will do just fine.
    Southern Gentleman

"The Bucky Syndrome"....I just spit diet coke every where!!!....boy, you just won't do!!!
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    It's funny that this has came up. Last fall and winter I had some issues with my boss and decided it was time to start seriously thinking about the next phase of my life.

I've been working in LE for the past 26 years, the first 3 in the jail and the last 23 in various positions as a Deputy Sheriff. I've done road patrol on every shift imaginable, been a SWAT officer, spent several years as a Detective, worked on gang and drug task forces.

The situation has gotten to the point that I really need to move on, but I've been doing this since I've been 21 so I haven't really other done anything else. I decided to go back to school and finally finish my Bachelors degree. I've been taking classes since January. It's been a real adjustment but so far everything is going pretty well. I'm finishing it up so that I have more options when I do finally retire from my current department.

I've got my time in to be able to retire, but I'm not old enough to draw it without taking a big hit plus my youngest is only 5 so I've got a long time until the kids are gone.

I admire your perseverance, Ddog....hang in there....my hat's off to LEO's like you and Cap.
    Southern Gentleman

I'd managed some of the more major Cadillac dealerships in the country back in the days when anybody who was anybody owned a Cadillac (before Mercedes, BMW, etc. became popular). I managed the dealership in Hollywood California, the dealership Beverly Hills, Ca, as well as the largest dealer in the country in downtown Los Angeles. I had become the go-to guy with the GM Factory people and became an "un-official" consultant for them ... so I started bouncing from dealer to dealer when the Corporation had a franchise that was in trouble. It got to the point I was doing nothing but turning armpits into franchises Cadillac was proud of and had no problem endorsing. BUT ... it got REALLY old after a few years and I got sick and tired of turning a shit-house dealership into a smoothly operating business. By time I could take a breath and relax, they'd ask if I could tackle another troubled store for them.

I finally got burned out and decided I needed a change. I wanted to start my own business, but really didn't know for sure what I wanted to do. So, I decided I'd leave the dealership business and try something new until I made up my mind what I wanted to do with myself. For many years, I'd had a VERY good working relationship with Enterprise Rental Car (I think they also own Alamo and National Rental Cars). I knew all the management with the company and would always place them in the stores I managed so that they would get all of our rental business (renting to customers who'd leave their cars for service, body work, etc). Anyway, I mentioned to one of the upper management people with Enterprise what my plan was and I was told they had a position for a "management trainee" that sounded like just what I was looking for.

I went down to start the application process and slammed right smack into a block wall. They REQUIRED a Bachelors Degree! WTF? To manage a frigging little rental car franchise? (the job opening was at one of their rental places like you'd see around airports, etc) In all of my 20 years of automobile related management experience within major corporations, I'd never ONCE been asked if I had a degree! And this was for a dang TRAINEE position to rent cars! To make matters worse, I would have been going from a "just under" 6-figure salary to something like $30,000 - $35,000/year! (this was in the very late 80's) I figured I'd be able to get some sort of waiver due to my extensive, prior experience, but their requirements were written in stone. That was the only time in my entire working career I'd ever been asked if I had a degree.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Luckily I got in under the wire of the degree madness. These days your resume won't make it to a hiring manager in my business without a 4 year degree at a minimum.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    Bucky, yep they all have them. I will say it's not that I need any more education to do my job it's more in the event I find myself unemployed.
    Last edited by Trav; 03-25-2016 at 10:54 PM.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775