Thread: Found a new place....

Found a new place....

A new hot tamale place.....an old black lady and her family have opened a small tamale business, and their home-made tamales are to die for, and are only $9 a dozen.....just the thing for watching the game tonite.
    D26D05D6-11B5-4E23-8DFF-80C065E9CA00.jpg
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 01-13-2020 at 11:50 PM.
    Southern Gentleman

Nice find! Man-o-man, tamales are one of my all-time favorite foods (good tamales that is). When I was in L.A., I swear every Mexican family in town would get together and make tamales at Christmas time and I'd score big time. Half my customers would bring me a big ol' sack of tamales for Christmas and I'd end up freezing enough to last me until the following Christmas!

Back in my old motorcycle racing days, I spent a LOT of time in Baja and my favorite place for tamales was a little mom and pop bakery in Rosarito Mexico. I'd get 4 for $1 back then. If I wasn't racing, I had the keys to a little house on the beach (belonged to an old girlfriend and the family let me use it anytime I wanted) and I'd many times just head down for the weekend. I'd load my cooler full of Coronas as soon as I hit TJ, then head on down to Rosarito to pick up a load of tamales, then get settled into the little beachfront villa. I'd take a small cooler full of cold cerveza, a pile'o tamales, a bottle of hot sauce and a beach chair down to the water's edge and have at it! If I didn't stay in Rosarito, I'd many times head on down to spend my weekends in Encenada, but I'd always stop on my way through Rosarito at my favorite little bakery and buy a pile of tamales for the trip south. Wow, great memories!

There are a few places here locally with decent tamales, but nothing like I'd get in Mexico ... which was practically my home away from home when I lived in L.A. Lynn and I did find a little roadside vendor a month or so ago (the week before we took our last cruise) and he had some darn decent tamales. He said he's there every Sunday, so we marked the spot on our GPS. He said his wife makes the tamales and he opens his stand every Sunday morning, then stays until he sells out. We brought a batch home, ate some and froze the rest, but we'll be going back. His price is $10/dozen, but he (she) sure doesn't skimp on the meat and they have just the right balance of meat and masa.

Dang it! Now I'm hungry!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Good old home made tamales are hard to beat!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

And the REAL ones are made with lard!

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    My wife makes great tamales. An old mexican lady taught her and Jim is right, lard makes them better.

A little lard never hurt anybody!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    A little lard never hurt anybody!

BKB
    THE H3LL YOU SAY !!!!!

small feet.jpg
    Southern Gentleman

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    you're gonna get Jim wired up doing that

Is that what you call a lard-ass?

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    I could put a serious hurt on that pot of tamales. As for the other photo that just hurts to see and now I have to spend the rest of my life hoping to unsee it.

Actually, the original caption of that pic was, "Beware, ladies, lard will make your feet look small."
    Southern Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by quercus alba View Post
    you're gonna get Jim wired up doing that
    I seriously doubt that even Jimbo could reach the bottom of that one !!!
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    reach the bottom

There is something very wrong about using the words "bottom" and "reach" in the same sentence in reference to that photo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Must be the outlier. I love me some Mexican food. But, tamales don’t do much for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    Must be the outlier. I love me some Mexican food. But, tamales don’t do much for me.
    If that's so, I'd have to guess you've never had GOOD tamales. Like anything else, there is a huge difference. There are also different types ... some I'm not as fond of as others. Different countries, different regions of the same country, etc. etc. etc. all make a difference. I guess saying you don't like tamales can be the same as saying you don't like sandwiches. If my first sandwich were an olive loaf, sardine and Marmite sammich, I'd be a bit turned off on "sammiches". Heck, I'm a BBQ sammich (usually pulled pork) connoisseur and ... although VERY rarely ... I've had BBQ sammiches that weren't worth eating.

That said, I've ordered tamales at restaurants before and they've brought them to me on a plate all covered with enchilada sauce. WTF??? Get that shit off my tamales and bring me a bottle of hot sauce!

Those that Mudward posted above "look" damn good, but you don't really know until you dig into it. The ones that piss me off are the ones that "look" good, but once you get into it, it's a big ol' wad of masa and a little hunk of meat inside. Kind'a like the "pork" in a can of Pork & Beans. WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    If that's so, I'd have to guess you've never had GOOD tamales. Like anything else, there is a huge difference. There are also different types ... some I'm not as fond of as others. Different countries, different regions of the same country, etc. etc. etc. all make a difference. I guess saying you don't like tamales can be the same as saying you don't like sandwiches. If my first sandwich were an olive loaf, sardine and Marmite sammich, I'd be a bit turned off on "sammiches". Heck, I'm a BBQ sammich (usually pulled pork) connoisseur and ... although VERY rarely ... I've had BBQ sammiches that weren't worth eating.

That said, I've ordered tamales at restaurants before and they've brought them to me on a plate all covered with enchilada sauce. WTF??? Get that shit off my tamales and bring me a bottle of hot sauce!

Those that Mudward posted above "look" damn good, but you don't really know until you dig into it. The ones that piss me off are the ones that "look" good, but once you get into it, it's a big ol' wad of masa and a little hunk of meat inside. Kind'a like the "pork" in a can of Pork & Beans. WTF?
    The man doesn’t like tamales. Get up off him!

And you can get ON 'ta this!

Arty has the heart of a Democrat. There’s hope for him yet!

You know how they let their emotions rule their logic!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Arty has the heart of a Democrat. There’s hope for him yet!

You know how they let their emotions rule their logic!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Ha!

Ha!

Maybe that’s it, Thump. It’s that soggy mess of masa that just doesn’t do it for me.

Totally understandable. I’ve had some that weren’t worth eating imo. But, they may not be for everybody, to each his own. Example, for the life of me, I can’t understand how any sane person would eat oysters. I’d rather suck the snot out of a pig’s nose.

Found a new place....

Totally understandable. I’ve had some that weren’t worth eating imo. But, they may not be for everybody, to each his own. Example, for the life of me, I can’t understand how any sane person would eat oysters. I’d rather suck the snot out of a pig’s nose.
    Oysters, pretty much any way I can find them, are one of my favs.

Last edited by Chicken Dinner; 01-18-2020 at 09:53 AM.

Coming from a guy that ate fried monkey ass in Thailand....

Unless you're going to eat them immediately, the key to keeping tamales from getting soggy is to remove them from their liquid, once they are finished cooking, and store them in an air-tight container, such as Tupperware.....leaving them sitting in their cooking liquid will guarantee a soggy sheeity tamale.

Unless you got a veggie steamer, the best way to reheat tamales is to place them upright, standing up in a saucepan with only a half inch of water, and let them steam on medium heat until ready to eat.....to aid them to stand upright, just bundle about 6 of them together with some string.

Microwave makes tamales sorta dry and tough.

Btw, as a kid, when we had tamales, my mom served us a dipping sauce mixture of equal parts of her home-made mayo, ketchup, and mustard, with a few shakes of chili and garlic powder.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 01-18-2020 at 06:32 PM.
    Southern Gentleman

Muddy, minus the mayo being homemade, I make a sauce very similar to this that I drizzle on cheeseburgers while their resting from the grill... it’s good stuff!