Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College football is just around the corner and

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master

College football is just around the corner and

"SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said games won't be postponed and has recommended that the conference removes the 53-man roster minimum that was put in place last year. The message to schools is "You're expected to play as scheduled," Sankey said. That means your team needs to be healthy to compete, and if not, that game won't be rescheduled," he said. "And thus, to dispose of the game, the 'forfeit' word comes up at this point."

I like it, with a vaccine of sorts, better understanding of quarantine protocols and social distancing there should be a lot less confusion and better in-house control. You don't play by the rules then you don't get a do over. I wouldn't object if a vac card was required to get in the gate.........

And schools won’t have to do the bubble routine. I think most of Oklahoma’s covid positives came after kids went home for the weekend or holidays and came back and tested positive.

I can’t wait for CFB!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

five-star quarterback Malachi Nelson, one of the top overall prospects in the 2023 class, gave a verbal pledge Oklahoma as part of a big recruiting weekend for Lincoln Riley's Sooners.

Nelson is ranked as the No. 5 overall prospect in his class by 247Sports and had a list of finalists that included Alabama, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Ohio State and USC.

You'll like him Posty, he flashed the down Hook em at his announcement

And we have the ‘22 top QB coming next season. Not sure if Rattler will be here or not for ‘22. But you know, with the transfer portal being like it is, these commitments are pretty meaningless these days. I was talking to my son about this the other day, I think the recent rule changes about being able to make money off of their own image might tie star athletes closer to their fanbases. Obviosuly in a monetary way, but you know what they say talks and walks.
    So it’d stand to reason it’d be a tougher decision to leave behind the golden goose to start over with a new one.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Given it’s the SEC, those are probably the rules until it negatively impacts Bama…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Bama and the SEC is kind of like Texas in the big 12. If Bama can’t play because of Covid then Arkansas will be forced to split their squad and send the 2nd team to Tuscaloosa. It's the best of both worlds, The Tide gets a forfeit and a win for a 2-0 week and the Hogs go 0-2 for the week
    Last edited by quercus alba; 07-20-2021 at 12:53 PM.

At least Texas has gotten a bit of a comeuppance since their arrogance blew up in the last conference realignment.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    At least Texas has gotten a bit of a comeuppance since their arrogance blew up in the last conference realignment.

And yet….without a starting qb named. And without much of ny news of what they’ve done on the defensive side of the ball. And yet, Sporting news has them ranked 13th going into the season. All because of Sarkisian. I think Iowa State is underrated at 9. They return a bevy of players and their QB is Purdy again, a Sr. They might just beat both Texas and OU this year for the BIG 12 championship.
    Nah. They won’t.

The suprise team in the SEC this year will be Mizzou, IMO. They’ve been recruiting well and their coach is a good one. Arkansas is still an unknown quantity to me but I’ll be pulling for them! Muddy’s Bulldogs ought to shake things up a bit with some of the Pirate’s own recruits in there.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

And speaking of CFB, Dabo Sweeney has come out against the 12 team expansion. Says there aren’t twelve teams good enough.

I don’t know why they skipped over 8. I kind of agree with him.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Agree 100% there aren’t 12 teams good enough and teams 13-20 will just bitch even louder. I read a couple of articles just now on the OU and Tejas thing and there seems to be an awful lot of denial and we don’t comment on speculation and anonymous rumors for this not to be true.

i just don’t see what’s in it for Oklahoma. I know they’re pissed off about early kick off times but hardly a serious issue. Texas probably has more regional matchups than we do in the SEC. Plus baylor is about to be the dominant Texas school in the Big 12, in fact they probably are as we speak. I think Texas wants to run.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Agree that not much innit for OU other than not wanting to be left holding the bag if the BIg 12 implodes. SEC would probably want to add two teams to have to equally weighted divisions and Okie State would probably jump with Texas if given the chance.

I personally feel like they're trying to get in on the ground floor. I would not be surprised to see the ACC, the PAC 10, the Big Ten and the SEC form four "Super Conferences" of 16 teams and break away from the NCAA in the near future

The NCAA is toast
    Last edited by quercus alba; 07-22-2021 at 01:12 PM.

The image of the SEC telling the NCAA to go piss up a rope was the very first thought I had when I heard the rumors.

Given what’s at stake, the NCAA has a dog in the fight but do they have any authority to stop it if they wanted to? Do they have to approve?

This superconference thing is just creating a new overlord. I’m not sure why any of them would be for it.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

First thing that will happen is the new governing body will remove any concept of a cap which only widen the gap in recruiting. Nick Saban said his starting qb is already approaching a million dollars in endorsements and A$M has two players that were paid $10,000 for an interview.

You're gonna have to pony up some change to compete in the new CFB

Well, I may tell CFB to fuck off if they do this big conference realignment crap. I’ve been a razorback and Sooner fan since I was old enough to listen to games on the eadio. But this is too, too much.

I think I may be done. I just can’t abide by ESPN and the SEC running football.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I hate this shit…

https://247sports.com/college/nc-sta...DHTvMQSlbKZgCQ

Viva Renaldo!

I don't know if there's any truth in it or not but I'm hearing some rumblings that the SEC is talking to Ohio St, Michigan, Clemson and Florida st about a mega conference of 20 teams.

I hope not, that would be disastrous to college football as a whole. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll kick us and Vanderbilt out

While I enjoy watching OU play, I have to say I could go the rest of my life without watching any of those 20 teams play another football game.

I wonder how OU fans are gonna feel about being Alabama’s bitch and not playing OSU every year?

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    I wonder how OU fans are gonna feel about being Alabama’s bitch and not playing OSU every year?

Viva Renaldo!

Serious question and not shit disturbing this time. I was just reading a couple of articles about likely conference destinations for other members of the Big 12 and the AAC seems to be a likely landing spot for many of the teams. But, the article did t really say why. I was just wondering why everyone seems to think the remaining teams would drop out of the Big 12 for a non-power 5 co detente vs. the Big 12 look to raid the AAC.

I can’t pretend to understand the politics of CFB. I think there is value in the 8 schools to pickup three to four members and actually negotiate a pretty decent revenue deal. There are some pretty solid top 25 finishers among the eight and if they could attract a few more they’d have a good conference. Having lived through the ten school round robin scenario, my opinion is you need two divisions and have a real championship game instead of just playing the number two team twice. So I 12 are needed for them to be viable They could pick up SMU and Tulsa and stay relevant in basketball too. You have to think of the other sports. I hate to see moretexas schools in there but Houston might be one they’d recruit.

Its sad the the networks thesedays essentially buy themselves a conference and then promote the shit out of it. The rift this has created between the haves and have nots just became a chasm.

Question, doy’all think this is making the Domers nervous?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

https://www.hogville.net/2021/07/26/...ent-7-26-2021/

This is a video by Mike Irwin who has been covering the Razorbacks for 30+ years and he gives some insight into why he thinks this is happening. It answers some questions about not only the merger but also Covid and the 2021 football season

He makes a lot of sense QA. A lot. Barry, I don’t know if “nervous” is the right word Barry. But, they’re probably looking at it pretty closely. They’re contractually obligated to join the ACC for football if they decide to give up being an independent. But, the Big 12 just found out what contracts are worth when this much money is involved.

But, they’re probably looking at it pretty closely. They’re contractually obligated to join the ACC for football if they decide to give up being an independent.
    I've never understood that myself, from a geographic and from a money standpoint the Big Ten is the only logical route for Notre Dame. I understand they like being able to call the shots but Clemson, Fla St, Miami and Va Tech compare very similarly to Ohio st, Mich, Purdue, Indiana and Mich st plus the Big 10 revenue is nearly twice what the ACC is.
    Notre Dame is going to have a target on their back no matter where they play.

Quote Originally Posted by quercus alba View Post
    https://www.hogville.net/2021/07/26/...ent-7-26-2021/

This is a video by Mike Irwin who has been covering the Razorbacks for 30+ years and he gives some insight into why he thinks this is happening. It answers some questions about not only the merger but also Covid and the 2021 football season
    I think Mike has it pretty much spot on, except for the part about OU and Texas not being as competitive as Auburn and Alabama. Let’s settle that part in the games. His discussion on rivalries it creates was spot on, and I really can’t wait to seehow that pans out. I have family members that might blackball me from the family though.

He’s right, most hog fans these days don’t remember what it was like being the only non-Texas school inthe conference and how hated the Whorns are in Arkansas and why.
    BKB

and on edit, thewre was part of what he said that sticks in my craw. He talked about how freeing it would be to Arkansas to not have to adhere to rules that the mid majors get input on. He used the example of Loouisianna Tech voting against a third assistant in baseball Arkansas wanted just because theycouldn’t afford it. That is the righteous bullshit that gets me. A ‘have’ complaining about having to dither with the ‘have nots’.
    B
    Viva Renaldo!