Thread: I have a question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    The mental health thing does need to be looked at. I agree that a certain diagnosis should not necessarily be a factor, but those who have shown a predisposition to being suicidal/homicidal should not be allowed to purchase. Not that it would stop them if they were determined to get a gun.

An assault weapons ban is nothing more than a feel good move. They will still be used in crimes like this because there will be thousands of them still out there that had previously been legally purchased.

Given the usual response time to a situation like this, would there have been any fewer casualties if he was armed with a revolver or limited to a 10 round magazine?

To me, it seems like maybe American society needs to look at why som many people feel compelled to commit mass murder? Has the per capita number of guns in America gone up at the same rate of mass shootings? If so, then maybe the number of guns is an issue, but if it hasn’t then it’s a societal problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDog View Post
    The mental health thing does need to be looked at. I agree that a certain diagnosis should not necessarily be a factor, but those who have shown a predisposition to being suicidal/homicidal should not be allowed to purchase. Not that it would stop them if they were determined to get a gun.

An assault weapons ban is nothing more than a feel good move. They will still be used in crimes like this because there will be thousands of them still out there that had previously been legally purchased.

Given the usual response time to a situation like this, would there have been any fewer casualties if he was armed with a revolver or limited to a 10 round magazine?

To me, it seems like maybe American society needs to look at why som many people feel compelled to commit mass murder? Has the per capita number of guns in America gone up at the same rate of mass shootings? If so, then maybe the number of guns is an issue, but if it hasn’t then it’s a societal problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I like the last paragraph of this. 100%.

I will show my conservative feathers here, and say that I really think a lot of this starts at home. What are kids seeing, hearing, being taught (or not taught) after school is out? I’m not talking about the need for traditional families, and kids being left at home alone while parent and/or parents make a living to feed their dumb little asses... I’m talking about the cerebral and emotional stability that having a parent who gives a shit can have on their children’s well being.
    Other than Vegas shooting, the vast majority of these are committed by late teen, early 20’s white boys.

There’s something wrong going on inside homes. And it isn’t video games. That is by-product. Something to fill a void. My boys love the crap out of video games, and play them more than I ever did. But they respect their parents, elders, and fellow humans. And neither have a propensity to seek out anger or bodily harm (to self or others) as a solution to any problem they have.
    That said, I have no real answer other than it’s time to do something. But it needs to work. I honestly think a few well trained teachers with guns in their belt would stop 99.9% of this.