Thread: Sad day here.....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Heck yeah, but the MDWFP says none exist here.....however, they say if you DO kill one, they’ll put you in jail.

Side note; there’s a group of guys here in MS who have formed an organization with their trained dogs to track wounded deer for a nominal fee, plus mileage.....I’ve sorta took a bit of interest in it, as well.....it takes patience to train a dog for that purpose, and tracking blood is right up a Rhodie’s alley.....I’ve trained lots of dogs for many purposes, so I might try this, too.....Sandy found a few wounded deer for us thru the years, but I wouldn’t say she was a pro at it, since they were all hot tracks.....some of these dogs I’ve seen have picked up cold tracks even the following day, and even thru swamps.....one guy and his dog tracked a deer for 36 hours, but the dog finally succeeded.....they are pretty amazing dogs.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 12-14-2018 at 05:36 PM.
    Southern Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy View Post
    Heck yeah, but the MDWFP says none exist here.....however, they say if you DO kill one, they’ll put you in jail.

Side note; there’s a group of guys here in MS who have formed an organization with their trained dogs to track wounded deer for a nominal fee, plus mileage.....I’ve sorta took a bit of interest in it, as well.....it takes patience to train a dog for that purpose, and tracking blood is right up a Rhodie’s alley.....I’ve trained lots of dogs for many purposes, so I might try this, too.....Sandy found a few wounded deer for us thru the years, but I wouldn’t say she was a pro at it, since they were all hot tracks.....some of these dogs I’ve seen have picked up cold tracks even the following day, and even thru swamps.....one guy and his dog tracked a deer for 36 hours, but the dog finally succeeded.....they are pretty amazing dogs.
    That would be a neat thing to train a dog on. There’s a fairly good size group of folks in Virginia that do it as well. They run a Facebook page and I follow it. They have helped recover a lot of deer for free. Pretty neat.